This module covers resistance, current, and voltage in a series circuit, and presents an introduction to the polarity of voltages, voltage dividers, and the concept of internal resistance. The student will learn to apply Kirchhoff's voltage law to solve problems and design voltage dividers. Fuses and switches are also presented with an emphasis on practical applications and troubleshooting.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Describe how voltages are distributed around a series circuit.
- Explain the purpose of double subscript notation.
- Define Kirchhoff's voltage law.
- Express the voltage divider rule and determine where it can be applied.
- Determine the polarity of EMFS and voltage drops.
- Explain the meaning of positive ground and negative ground.
- Calculate power in a series circuit.
- Define internal resistance. Explain the purpose of fuses and switches.
- Troubleshoot open circuit and short circuit conditions in a series circuit