Skip to main content
- Familiarize yourself with the fire exit locations and fire exit routes on your campus.
- All other George Brown College buildings (including Casa Loma Campus) have a one-stage fire alarm. You must leave the building when the fire alarm sounds.
- If you discover smoke or fire on campus, leave the fire area immediately and close the doors behind you. Activate the fire alarm system (using a pull station). Call campus security and state your name, the nature of the emergency and the exact location (for example, casa Loma Campus, 160 Kendal Ave., Building C, Room 420). Leave the building via the designated fire exit. Do not use the elevators.
- If you encounter smoke in a stairwell, use an alternate stairwell.
- If the fire alarm sounds while you are in class, your teacher will escort the class directly out of the building via the designated fire exit. Do not use the elevators.
- If you need assistance to safely evacuate the building, move to a designated safety zone for that floor (look for a green "Emergency Evacuation Designated Waiting Area" sign). Stay in place. Remain calm. Emergency services will respond to your location and help you to evacuate. If you have an assistant, your assistant must advise the fire marshal, campus security or the fire department of your location. If you are unescorted, you should remain in the designated safety zone and await the arrival of emergency services. You should not enter the stairwell or allow yourself to be carried down a stairwell unless there is immediate danger and it is absolutely necessary (that is, fire or smoke is near the designated safety zone). Do not use the elevators.
- Proceed to a safe location away from the building entrances in order to maintain unobstructed access for emergency vehicles and Toronto Fire Service equipment. You must not return to the building until college officials provide permission.
- Any immediate security or safety concerns should be directed to campus security. In an emergency, dial 0 from any office, classroom, or lab phone at the college, or call 416-415-4000.
- Casa Loma Campus Security
LOCATION: Casa Loma Campus, 146 Kendal Ave., Building E (CLE), main floor (main entrance)
- Campus security can also receive information about and respond to campus emergencies via text message. Text 416-723-4761 from your mobile phone for emergency security or first aid assistance.
- Elevators are also equipped with emergency telephones that are connected directly to campus security.
- To reach external emergency services (police, fire and ambulance), call 911.
- For non-emergency issues, call 416-415-5000, ext. 8000 (this extension can be dialed directly from a college phone), or contact campus security by email.
- In the case of a medical emergency on campus, call campus security or use the yellow emergency call boxes installed in the hallways. Campus security and the first aid teams communicate through two-way radio and both will be dispatched to the location. Follow medical response emergency guidelines to assist the person in need, campus security and first responders.
- Most labs and workshops also have their own first aid kits.
- If you require assistance with a non-emergency injury or illness while on campus, visit the college's first aid centres. Campus security is available to assist you when the first aid centres are closed. For more information, visit the Occupational and Environmental Health and Safety web page.
- Casa Loma Campus First Aid Centre
LOCATION: Casa Loma Campus, 160 Kendal Ave., Building C (CLC), Room C227 (second floor)
HOURS: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Monday to Friday)
PHONE: 416-415-5000, ext. 4588